Bike to Work Challenge Champs Announced
Above: T.A. Executive Director Paul Steely White announces the 2015 Bike to Work Challenge winners.
In Transportation Alternatives' book, everyone who bikes to work is a winner — after all, New Yorkers who choose to commute by bike will get there quicker, leaner and greener than their car-dependent coworkers. And this year, the Bike to Work Challenge reached some exciting new milestones.
- Over 190,000 miles were logged, enough to circle the globe seven times.
- Participants collectively offset 77 tons of CO2 emissions, saving the carbon equivalent of over 8500 gallons of gas.
- Nearly ten million calories were burned: the caloric equivalent of two slices of pizza for every attendant at a sold-out Madison Square Garden show.
Twenty percent of Challenge riders had never commuted by bike before, bringing nearly 800 new riders onto New York City streets.
At least thirty-five percent of Challenge participants were women, significantly higher than the NYC and national averages for women ridership.
But while many reaped the benefits of the Bike to Work Challenge — over 500 workplaces participated, and nearly 4000 riders registered — it takes real dedication to become a Bike to Work Challenge champ. So without further ado, T.A. proudly presents the 2015 Bike to Work Challenge winners!
Max Participation Rate Per Team Size Category
nARCHITECTS | Category: 1 - 4 employees | Participation: 100%
Studio Gang Architects | Category: 5 - 24 employees | Participation: 100%
Evans Heintges Architects | Category: 25 - 99 employees | Participation: 83.3%
Etsy | Category: 100 - 499 employees | Participation: 28.8%
Amplify | Category: 500 - 999 employees | Participation: 12.1%
American Museum of Natural History | Category: 1000 - 4,999 employees | Participation: 2.8%
Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center | Category: 5,000+ employees | Participation: 0.4%
Most Individual Miles, by Borough
All winners receive KIND Bars for all of their teammates at the office. And every team member of each of the seven winning teams are entered into a prize drawing to win:
- Irving Farm Coffee Roasters Home Brewing Class: three spots, each with a +1.
- A randomly selected team will receive siggi's Dairy Office Refrigerator Refresh: one month of Icelandic yogurt. Winner: American Museum of Natural History.
- Fleisher's Pasture-Raised Meats sausage making class: five spots, each with +1.
- One 2-day, 1-night fully supported bike tour from Gotham Bicycle Tours. Choose either our Montauk/Shelter Island Tour or our "Beaches to Farms Winery Experience" ride. Camping and meals included.
- A randomly selected team will win a week's worth of Vita Coco for their office. Winner: nARCHITECTS.
- A randomly selected team will win $25 gift certificates from Fluent City language classes for each member. Winner: Memorial Sloan Kettering
All five individual winners receive a package including products from REI, Spurcycle and Just Salad.